My prediction? Color film will be hard to find in 5 years. B&W will be hard to find in 10 years. And film will be pretty much gone in 25 years. The only real hope is that the internet makes it posible for someone to cater to a very small world wide niche market. The good side of this? I will probably not care in 25 years. ;)

Steve Desjardins wrote:

What I find really interesting and hard to predict is how film will
continue at this point. I agree that R&D money will be cut severely and
that the number of available emulsions will plummet. In the end though,
I think it will be profitable to produce film for quite a while,
although the [rice may rise as it becomes a "niche" item mainly for
specialized professionals and hobbyists. In the end, the availability
and price of processing may be the limiting factor. This latter point
may actually mean that B&W film may have a longer life then color since
the latter can be home processed.

The interesting question is will we notice big changes in 5, 10 or 25
years?

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."