----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "pentax discuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: 5 Mpixel price breakthough

> Apples and Oranges.  Why does a pro SLR cost so much more than a film
> point-and-shoot?  The sensor size is the same (35mm film), right?
> Much of the answer is the LENS part.

Um, there is no LENS included with the cost of a pro SLR.  The Pro SLR can
use the same lenses as a "consumer" SLR.  Crappy or good.

> I think it's interesting that Canon is using a big print apparently made
> from the 300D DSLR as a sales technique.  It looks like Cibachrome or
> something, which is a bit of a cheat in and of itself.
>
> However, it's rather like using a picture taken by a pro on Fuji Velvia
> with some $1500 lens on a Canon film Rebel and saying "look, this camera
> takes great pictures"!

But that's the point isn't it?  You can buy a cheap body and REALLY good
glass and get great results.  You could also buy a REALLY expensive body and
crap glass and get crappy results.

Christian