Sometimes I wonder if anyone here ever took an accounting course. Let's take a look at the D-Rebel from that viewpoint.

It costs a certain amount to develop a digital camera (or any new product). Then you have to figure out at what point you want to recoup that cost. Say you budget it at a million units. If you never sell a million units you lose money on every camera you sell.

But once you reach that point the cameras only cost is overhead, materials, and distribution, so you are in the money making phase of the business. In that phase you have three choices 1. you can continue along making big profits, if your completion will let you. 2. You can lower your prices keep the same profit, and hurt your completion. 3. You can make several models of basically the same camera at different price points. The cheapest hurts your competition but makes you little or no profit. The main stream makes good profit and is what you depend upon. Then if you can you produce a deluxe model that makes big profits but in smaller volume.

Where does Canon sit right now? Well the D60 probably paid for the R&D. The 10D is basically the current mainstream camera. The Rebel is the lost leader. All three of these cameras are basically the same camera (electronically) with mostly software differences. The 10D and the Rebel probably cost within $100 of each other to produce.

Unfortunately for the competition they have not recovered R&D, Nikon is probably near, Pentax will be a long time yet, so they are setting the market price. And Canon is stealing market share with its supposedly much cheaper digital Rebel and making money hand over fist with the 10D.

All of this is common to new markets. Mature markets are pretty much a level playing field as everyone still in have recovered basic R&D and new models come out pretty even across the board, but it is costly for a newcomer to break into the field.

---

Boris Liberman wrote:

Hi!

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:50:14 +0100