On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Do all *ist D users have access to NASA labs?  That's fine!
>
> > Dario
>
> You know I've been reading reviews of the 10D (and the *istD).
> Well, mainly studying the reviews at dpreview more.  I hadn't really
> looked in depth yet.  And complaints about the 10D images are the
> same.  Too soft.  Have to sharpen.
>
> I guess I am coming late into this, since I haven't been paying THAT
> much attention.  (Since my DSLR purchase date is still off in the
> future.) So, sort of ignorant here.  (Well, actually that's fairly
> common for me re photography, no matter the arena.  :-))
>
> But I don't want to have to do a lot of post processing.
>
> I.E.  Have to sharpen every image I shoot.  Some I'd just like,
> bang, shoot, open in Elements and print.  I often do that now from
> scanning slides.  I mean, sometimes I sharpen or edit, but not
> always.

I bet you would be happy doing the same thing with the *ist D.
Scanned slides usually can benefit from a little sharpening too.

This is easy to try, just download a full size *ist D file from
somewhere (they are all over the net by now) and print one and see
what you think.

I think that people are more critical of CCD sharpness than film
sharpness just because it is so trivial to look at a digital picture
at 1:1 ratio.  Many people never looked at their slides or negatives
through a loupe, and even if they did it isn't as easy to see the
grain as it would be digitally.

alex