Hi,

Kostas Kavoussanakis wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, David Madsen wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, do you think it could be a crack in one of the inner
> > elements?
>
> Yes, I fear this could be the case.

I would expect a crack to have less of a line appearance, especially if
you move the lens around whilst looking at it.  You would be able to
perceive some of the shape of the element section.

> > Another thought is that it could be something that should be
> > against the side of the barrel, but has come loose.  I have only watched
> > lens repair, so I am not an expert, just thinking out loud, so to speak.
>
> It is very thin, like hair.

A possibility, if the lens has been previously dismantled.

> I could try taking a couple of pictures. Thing is I will have to
> invest 20 GBP in a mount. May just bite the bullet...

Buy the mount.  The lens type is excellent, even though this example may
not be keepable, so you can use it on another - and you may just find a
300/2.8 lurking around the corner for pence.  It does sound like another
case of fungus to me, I'm afraid, although it is also possible that it
is an artefact from a previous clean.  Professional help needed.

mike