Herb,

I can pull the card out plug it into the x-drive hit 2 buttons put the
whole lot back into my camera bag and keep shooting.  It powers down
automatically a couple of minutes after finishing copying.  Then I swap
cards and start again.  I can't fit a lap top in my camera bag and to
come anywhere near the capacity would cost me a fortune in cards.
Besides I also use it to transfer really big files around to different
computers.  Battery life is about an hour and a half of actual use, but
it comes with a car charger as well as a mains adaptor.

It works for me and it may work for others.  I don't expect it to work
for everyone.

 Leon