tom (and anyone else who is following this thread!) - with regards to this
para.
" Hmm. I throw out 2/3 of what I shoot, but I wouldn't call them crap.
 Most of them are dups, and I pick the best of a set.

 I shot about 10 frames to get these 3:

 http://www.bigdayphoto.com/boland/4462.htm
 http://www.bigdayphoto.com/boland/4463.htm
 http://www.bigdayphoto.com/boland/4464.htm

 Are the other 7 frames crap? Well, some of them were, but most of them
 were just "also-rans". I got to pic the best 3 out 10."

Those are cool shots, I'll bet that she'll love them!  BUT, I think it was
Bruce(?) who posted about the different markets etc?  I went and looked at
the whole album from that wedding, and your shots are sensational (i am
totally humbled and feel that my "work" is positively amateur in comparison
to yours and also Bruces wedding work...)

BTW, in regards to not calling the "outakes" crap, well, most of mine
seriously are, and I like to remind myself of this so that I continue to
improve and never get to a point where I think I am so good that I never
take a crap shot, iykwim?  The way I refer to them in a "nicer" context are
as "rejects" or "out-takes"...

Well, the whole photojournalistic thing hasn't reallly "caught on" in these
parts, and to most of my couples here, they would be disappointed if I
didn't give them 2/3 of their collection as "posed" shots.  This takes ALOT
of time to set up - I guess this is why I am only able to produce, at most
300 shots per wedding.  When I say "posed" shots, I don't mean boring old
stand in a line and smile, but rather creatively posed, such as those that I
posted on the grayscale thread.  Often, my "candid" shots are completely set
up to look just like that.

For example THIS one, which is one of my alltime favourite wedding photos
that I have ever taken:

http://www.tanyamayer.com/themarriage/hanrahankissbw.jpg

Here is a link to an (almost complete - not all of the family and still-life
shots are here) wedding from last weekend... This one was a garden ceremony,
as most of mine in this region are... Sorry, if they look scrappy, they are
low res and not colour corrected, this is just a proofing page for the
couples family...  oh, you'll need the username - tmp and the password -
weddings.

http://www.tanyamayer.com/weddinggalleriesprivate/anderson/

See how the style is so different?  So, with that in mind, I find that I am
able to still get good coverage with only 150-200 shots per wedding, and it
also saves my clients money - which is a big thing where I am as we are in
drought and most of the farmers on the land are barely making ends meet....

BTW, whilst you are all looking at that gallery, if anyone has the time,
could you please have a look at the shots of the couple with the horse - any
idea why my flash didn't fill the shadows on their faces?  I was really
close, shot with a 28mm and 50mm lens.  I'm thinking it is because the flash
has exposed for the white of the dress?  But truly, I have no idea... Those
shots look like absolute crap, and that is what I mean about me having a LOT
to learn... Not only are the shadows really bad, major hotspots all over,
but they are very poorly composed too.  NOT one of my finest photographic
moments there... I almost threw those in the trash can before even showing
them to the couple, who ironically "love" them.  There truly is no
accounting for taste sometimes.

AND, does anyone have any sure fire tips for preventing shine on faces from
flash and reduce contrast for reception pics?  No matter what bounce
options, softboxes etc I have tried on my flash gun, I have never been able
to find what I feel is a satisfactory result...

what the bloody hell is a "triptych"?!?! (hope i didn't offend anyone by
using the "h" word!)

tan.