Hello Pieter,

One thing you are not factoring in to this issue is the output side.
When the output is digital, you have the same basic problem.  Each
"pixel" is only one color.  What you are really referring to is a
dithering pattern.  All inkjet printers do this, monitors do this and
I believe digital mini-labs do this.  So in fact, the color doesn't
have to be faked as much as it has to be patterned.  The downside to
this is that certain "patterns" (especially man-made) could come out
looking wrong.  The natural random nature of film grain tends to hide
this rather than accentuate it.  I don't think the Foveon crowd has
quite as much advantage as you think.  They still have to create a
"dither pattern" from the sensor data as each pixel can only store 1
color.

Using film as a beginning but moving it to digital output is not much
different than the Foveon, capturing all three colors at 1 pixel point
but then creating a dither pattern out of it.  Either the scanner or
Foveon chip do this.  I suspect that the layout pattern of the
CCD/CMOS chip pretty much regulate this.

In the end, it all comes out in the wash.  The only real comparison
would be between a purely analog film process vs a digital
capture/output.

My local labs no longer do analog.  That means that my film is at a
disadvantage.  It is subject to their scanner/software limitations.
The only alternative is to scan and manipulate the images myself.

Food for thought.

--
Best regards,
Bruce