Hello alex,

My mistake.  I do believe that it is true of the printer though.  That
is why the resolution of an Epson is 1440 dpi but the resolution that
we really think of is 300 dpi.  This is due to dithering.

--
Best regards,
Bruce

Wednesday, December 17, 2003, 10:18:57 AM, you wrote:

aw> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Bruce Dayton wrote:
>> One thing you are not factoring in to this issue is the output side.
>> When the output is digital, you have the same basic problem.  Each
>> "pixel" is only one color.

aw> This is not true.  All photographic file formats store R, G and B
aw> values for each pixel.  Your display shows these at each pixel too
aw> (although some display types such as LCDs use subpixels that are next
aw> to each other that are R, G and B).

aw> You can sort of see those in this photograph:
aw> http://phred.org/~alex/pictures/scratch/reduced/IMGP1604.JPG

aw> That is a shot of text on a Dell 1702FP LCD monitor.  It was shot with
aw> the *ist D and a reversed 50/1.4 lens.  Remove "reduced" from the URL
aw> if you want to see the full resolution original.

aw> Most color scanners do capture R, G, and B for each pixel that they
aw> are scanning.

aw> alex