Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Absolutely more innocent ... it's becoming more and more
> difficult to photograph kids in this way.  Their parents are
> afraid that a stranger may be more than just a "wandering
> minstrel photographer."  In some neighborhoods around here
> parents won't even let their kids play on the street in front
> of their house, or even in the yard, without being watched
> over.  Fear and anxiety are rampant.  I believe that you're
> correct in your assessment.

Hi Shel,

It's pretty hard taking pictures when they are your own children. Taking
pictures of my eldest learning to swim at the pool was OK, by the time no.2
came along it was forbidden (and mobile telephones were banned the day after
you could get them with picture taking ability). I had a form to sign at the
school, for each child, on permission of use of any picture they appear in
(choices: display in school premises; + local press; + website; not at all)
and they are not keen on parents with cameras within the school grounds,
unless for the school plays etc in the appropriate hall.

I still do take the occasional picture in the school grounds, but I make
sure I'm obviously taking photos of my bunch - and have been known to wear a
reflective tabard to stand out. I have yet to be approached and told 'no',
but I'm sure it will happen one day....

I understand the restrictions, but it's a sad reflection on society.

Malcolm