If I am correct, Minolta 5400 is cheaper than Nikon 4000. However, you need Vuescan to obtain good negatives scans. For E6 scans, the original Minolta software will do.

Regards,
Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

    My choice of the Nikon is based on it being the only scanner
    I've used and that's affordable at this time, and that I've
    heard some questionable comments about other scanners.

MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfeeŽ Security : 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines