I keep Some (non rechargeable) Lithium Aas as my backup rather than
CR-V3s because they can also be a backup for my flash & other equipment,
and were really pretty cheap.  I do have some CR-V3s which came with the
camera but see no point buying any more when I can get lithium AAs.

As for rechargeable CR-V3s the same applies - why use soemthing that
isnt versatile enough to swap between equipment.  One of the big
advantages of the *ist D was the use of a common battery type which
could be swapped & shared with other gear.  Having to buy two chargers
for the two CR-V3s that the ist requires made it a paing in the ass too
- either that or keep swapping batteries out one by one to charge a set.
Rechargeable CR-V3s are also very expensive unless they have come down
in price.

Buy a Uniross Globetrotter charger which you can use most anywhere and
you really have no need for LiOn.