David wrote:

DM> The Spyder can profile an LCD if you select "native" as the white
DM> point.  Then colour-aware applications (eg Photoshop) can use that
DM> profile as the preview device.  Applications that don't support colour
DM> management won't be helped by profiling.

  With Win XP, the colour profile generated with the spyder can be
  assigned to the Display Properties / Colour Management. The change
  in display is immediate for all applications that can now show
  correctly images created in sRGB colour space. Of course only colour
  management enabled applications are capable to display for instance
  AdobeRGB/ images or to do print preview.

DM> I don't know how well software-based calibration (eg Adobe Gamma) works
DM> with LCDs.

  It doesn't work at all. LCD pixels are too sharp and well separated
  to obtain true gray; neither can be each channel profiled
  individually with accuracy.

  Servus,  Alin