Well, I finally settled on my "go-everywhere" SLR/lens, and it's not an
SLR, but a rangefinder, as one or two of you had suggested, only to have me
brush off your suggestion. I bow in abject apology.

On my belt, wherever I go, I wear a black Eagle Creek belt pouch.

In the pouch, I carry a Yashica Electro GX rangefinder (40/1.7) with ISO
400 or 800 film; no flash.

Attached to the Yashica is a narrow Domke rubberized neck strap. Narrow, so
it can double as a wriststrap.

Attached to the neck strap by elastic straps are two canisters. One holds a
sheet of microfiber cloth; the other, a spare roll of color print film (ASA
400 or 800).

In another pocket of the pouch I carry a lens brush and a spare lens cap.

That's it. I'll probably add a light table tripod, stored in the pouch.