Don,

I have one of each in active use (or usually do, but
the PZ-1 is in Colorado getting its health restored).

I would definitely go for the PZ-1p.  It's smoother,
quieter, more grippable, has (slightly) faster AF,
better pop-up flash coverage, easy flash exposure
compensation (making fill-flash much easier), and more
convenient access to custom functions.

The PZ-1 has a couple of power zooming options the 1p
doesn't have (two zoom memory settings instead of one,
for example) but I'm not using power zooming lenses
anyway.  The PZ-1 also has an intervalometer, which I
have used exactly twice in 12 years and 500+ rolls (I
thought it might yield interesting spontaneous party
candids.  It doesn't.)

The PZ-1p can be had for a song on eBay these days.  A
midwestern camera shop had one up earlier this week,
factory refurbished with a 1y Pentax USA guarantee.

Cheers,

Rick
--- Don Sanderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Z/PZ series is the only Pentax series I've never
> had the opportunity
> to use.
> In that I've heard so many good things about them I
> was thinking of buying
> one just to 'round out' my Pentax education.  (Good
> excuse, no?)  ;-)
> A question for you: Is the PZ-1 nearly as good as
> the PZ-1p?
> They go for a good bit less money, and if they're
> worth the price they
> are also a lot easier to find used. (Which is a bit
> suspicious in itself.)
> So, what say Ye?
>
> TIA
> Don