Hi Butch
I disagree with you here at least for my home country.
What works as "How-to do business" for the Swiss banks according to Swiss
Bank Law should well work for a lab too.
A lawyer just signs an A form paper stating that he knows the beneficiary of
the money he wants to deposit.
That's good enough that the banks can administer the money without even
knowing the name of the real owner.

If the holder of a photo makes a written statement that he has all the
rights on the photo this should be
good enough for the lab. Its not the right or duty of the lab to judge about
IMHO. I would not even show
a passport or driver license to somebody else than the police, I'm in no way
obliged to do so.

greetings
Markus