On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Glen wrote:

At 10:55 AM 8/17/2005, Andre Langevin wrote:

Pentax Canada rep told my retailer that the FA 50/1.4 is now discontinued and that they won't supply back-orders. Pentax Canada gets their lenses directly from Japan, so I guess the lens is no longer produced in Japan.

A new DA 50/1.4 on the way?

If it were to be a DA series, I would expect something more like a DA 33mm f1.4, because of the crop factor.

I would still expect a 50/1.4 because it implies minimal R&D, unlike the 33; there is also a huge overlap with the existing 31. Note that these (30-odd mm) lenses are retrofocus designs and a useful 1.4 is likely to weigh a ton a be 2 meters long. Shall I make a prediction on price too? :-)

I'm definitely going to be disappointed if there will no longer be an f1.4 lens of any sort. I'm getting tired of all the f4 and slower lenses which seem to dominate. I would really like to have some faster options for low-light shooting.

They don't dominate. Primes are still in the 2-2.8 range. Take a look at Boj's page; what happened to the 24/28/35 3.5 lenses of yesteryear? If we are talking zooms, I recently passed on a reasonably (but still a bit of dosh) priced FA*28-70/2.8 on KEH (don't look for it :-) because I did not think it would be that better than the FA24-90/3.5-4.5 to justify the back-breaking weight and garish appearance.

I'm also tired of all the zooms which don't hold their aperture throughout the zoom range. Is it that difficult or expensive to make a constant-aperture zoom? I seem to remember that once upon a time, that was the typical way of building zoom lenses. If they could do it in "the good old days", then why not now? These days, constant-aperture zooms are rare.

That's a design compromise, affecting size, weight and price. I see no problem with the FA24-90/3.5-4.5. The FA24-70/4 is known to self-destruct, but this may be a one-off. Why do you mind changing aperture? It's only a problem with manual flash, or am I missing something?

Kostas