I said the lenses were the same length when you have a lens hood mounted on the K135 f2.5. The hood I use is the one from the SMC Takumar version of the same lens. I've found the A*300 to be very good optically, it's not great from that standpoint, very good though. When you take into account it's compact size, and compared to most other relatively fast 300mm lenses it's extremely compact, it becomes great. It's only about 1/2 inch longer than the smc Pentax M 200mm. I'm sure there are sharper 300mm lenses but I can't think of one nearly as compact.

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

Your idea of "not much larger" is certainly a bit different than mine,
Peter.  You might want to double check the figures over at Boz's site.

I've had both lenses at the same time, and the A*300 is seemed quite a bit
bigger than the K135/2.5 ...

As for its "greatness," well, we'll just have to disagree there as well.  I
had two, and was not satisfied with either. Shel