I am one of those folks who isn't using digital and who has no plans to in his personal photography. Happily I am a hobbyist and not a professional photographer and so am not pressured to make decisions based upon speed or upon return on investment. Part of the reason I've not followed the list too closely lately is that it has become so digital oriented, which is fine I guess (especially considering the list has always over-represented the computer-obsessed types) except it will be interesting to see how even this innocent question of Shel's is turned into the usual "look how dumb you are for not going digital" by Herb or somebody. Again, apart from speed/convenience issues (which are not relevant to my method), I don't see any great advantages to digital apart from vulgar economics, though I admit there are a very select few technical reasons such as the Maxxum's anti-shake, as noted by Mike Johnston in a recent column. Overall, I can't really see any reason to switch to digital and I am happy I am not forced to since I consider film an authentic and transparent medium in comparison to the simulations of the digital milieu.

RSW

Who's Not Using Digital
Shel Belinkoff
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 09:39:46 -0800

I was thinking about this last night.  It seems that most everyone on the
list, at least from the usual gang of "regular posters," has made the move
to digital.  Who hasn't, and who have no plans to do so in the near or
foreseeable future?

Shel "You meet the nicest people with a Pentax"