On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:37:49 -0000, Sylwester Pietrzyk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2006-01-19, at 22:07, John Forbes wrote:

It seems to me that there is no good reason why Samsung, or anybody else, can't produce a sensor which is half-way in size between APS-C and 35mm (24x36). This would be about 50% bigger than APS-C but would still, I think, allow all Pentax DA lenses to be used without vignetting. Crop factor would be around 1.3.

If Nikon can squeeze excellent results out of an APS-C sensor with 12.4 Mpixels, a 50% bigger sensor should be able to manage around 18 mpixels, and will make the new 12-24mm zoom equivalent to 16-31mm on 35mm, which is pretty good.

It would still be considerably cheaper to make than a full-frame sensor.

It won't be neccessary to make bigger sensors as soon as this technology will find its way onto imagers of DSLRs:
http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2367

Looks nice, but it's probably not a 2006 technology.

John