From: "frank theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Boris' recent PESO (or was it a PAW?) featured at least two questions
> along the lines of the above subject line.
>
> Which got me to thinking:  What difference does it make?  I very often
> take photos which, ~at the time I take them~, I have no idea "what I'm
> trying to say".  I just take them, look at them later, and if I like
> them, I print them.
>
> Is that wrong?

To them maybe. It's their opinion. Yours differs. <shrug> There is no right or
wrong.

I take a lot of pictures where I'm not trying to say anything specific. I shoot
what pleases me. If someone else likes it then great.

I think those are art questions. My guess is that those who ask those questions
are of the opinion that art has to have a message.

> Why does no one ask that question when they see a gorgeous photo of an
> equally gorgeous sunset?  What does a sunset have to "say" (except
> perhaps, "isn't this beautiful")?

Not all pictures have messages. Some just appeal to our emotions. Some are
documentary and contain information only but don't make a statement.

That's my .02 worth.

Tom Reese