Bob W wrote:
> [...]
>> Norway has a traditional history of whale hunting. Australian
>> aborigines have a traditional history of hunting dugong (which
>> may be threatened). The former is condemned but the latter is
>> allowed. Go figure.
>
> It's quite easy to figure, actually. One of them is large-scale,
> global and industrialised, the other is subsistence-level and local.

Actually, it isn't that simple.

An endangered species is endangered whether it's hunted with
rifle or a spear. Also "subsistence-level" hunting isn't, as the
people do not need to hunt to eat. And they often use modern
technology to hunt (eg even if they use spears they travel around
in modern motor boats). (Note that I do not dispute their right
to hunt, if it is sustainable.)

The important management issue is whether or not the level of
harvesting is sustainable. The idea that industrial is bad and
pre-industrial is good is too simplistic.

Keith McG