On Aug 7, 2006, at 8:54 AM, mike wilson wrote:

>>> The problem with that is that you have to "save" a huge amount of
>>> fuel before you recoup the environmental cost of constructing it
>>> in the first place.  8-/
>>

>> Are you referring to the outlay to buy one such car?
>
> Indeed.  When you think of all the energy that has gone into mining,
> refining, moving, machining, casting, painting, etc. (I know there are
> economies of scale) the materials in that vehicle (not to mention the
> factory that built it) and then compare that carbon footprint to the
> actual savings it makes over its life, I would be interested to know
> what fuel saving it makes.  I'm not sure it can even be evaluated.

I don't understand how the hybrid-electric Prius is substantially
different in terms of "environmental cost of manufacture" compared to
a petrol or diesel powered automobile. The fact that it will
generally return 50-80% better fuel economy can only be a plus. In
terms of its mechanical components it's the same or simpler than most
of the petrol-diesel machines, the parts that are more complicated
are the computers and the NiMH batteries, and I've not seen much that
substantiates saying that manufacturing the Prius' computers is any
more or less of an environmental impact than making the computers
already included in other cars. Or the one on your desk, for that
matter. The NiMH battery I don't know, but we seem to be
manufacturing them by the bazillion anyway, the volumes required for
the automobile industry are trivial compared to the total at present.

With fuel consumption gains due to efficient operation of the
combustion engine, the hybrid-electric is putting less pollutants
into the atmosphere in operation, which is a plus. The NiMH traction
batteries are designed to run at least 100,000 miles (some reports of
people with 200,000+ miles still on the original batteries, still
going strong, are available on the web if you look) and are also
designed to be recyclable, so that counts as another plus.

Nothing involving power is without some environmental impact, of
course. But it can hardly be said that you have to "save a huge
amount of fuel before you recoup the environmental cost of
constructing it in the first place" is a valid statement if you're
trying to contrast it to petrol and diesel powered automobiles. They
are probably pretty much the same overall impact, and whatever fuel
you do save, even if the percentage were small, improves the net
benefits of the hybrid-electric power train.

Godfrey