You need to click the "DETAILS" tab under the image to show the caption.
PhotoNet would rather show you an advertisement when the page first loads.

What the scales show is that an unmanipulated linear greyscale produced by a
digital camera has considerably darker shadows than a non-linear greyscale
produced by film.  Correcting the difference in levels leads to nasty
posterisation bands in the shadow tones.

These are 8bit scales and each step is as near to true as I could get (one
or less levels error) so 12 or more bits will be better, but the correction
of the linear greyscales to anything like the evenly spaced tonal rendition
of the non-linear greyscales will always be an inferior option unless
considerably greater bit depth is offered.  It would be much better if
digital cameras could output files with a non-linear characteristic curve.

Regards,
Anthony Farr