It's not underexposed, because it's not exposed.  The greyscales are
artwork, and the brightness levels of each step are what they theoretically
should be, to one or less levels.  The uncorrected linear greyscale at the
bottom shows what should be obvious, that half the steps are below the
threshold of visibility, the middle step is just barely visible, and only
the brightest 4 steps are readily visible.  That's only 4 steps out of 9
that are visible without making levels adjustments which introduce
posterisation effects (that's what the middle greyscale illustrates).

Regards, Anthony Farr

Paul