On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 09:32:21AM -0400, graywolf wrote:

> As an aside on computers, my current computer is old, 6-7 years now, but
> it still runs all the current software and does the job adequately. They
> are not going functionally obsolete as quickly as they used to, a sign
> of a more mature market. Sure the new ones are a lot faster, but I
> always figured that once we got up around 1MHZ it would be fast enough
> for most desktop use. That idea seems to be holding, at least for me.
> Nice not to have to replace the damn things every 2 years.

I agree.  Both our primary home computer and my work laptop are over
three years old, and are perfectly capable of doing all we ask of them.
The modern machines are faster, but not by much (perhaps 50%).

Another thing I note is that unless you want all the cutting-edge
features for real-time video games you can get a first-rate desktop
system for well under $400, and reasonable notebooks at below $1000.