On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> the 50-200.  The variable aperture is annoying, and I guess I'd have to
> learn how to use a lens with that configuration.  I don't know enough about
> how the exposure, aperture, and shutter speed are adjusted as the lens
> moves through the focal range.

My memory from the MZ-50 (on-body aperture setting, no HyperProgram,
so similar to the DS/DL) is that at the open end the camera will
adjust the aperture to the minimum possible; in Av and P it will set
the shutter accordingly, in M it will just tell you you are now
underexposing. I am not sure if it recalls that you once were at the
most open so as to open up again if you zoom out; I think it did. On
the closed end you have a few more stops available when zoomed in,
which you similarly lose when zooming out.

Kostas