A quick warning about wiring to strobes directly...

Once recently I had a DS wired by 10' cables to two flash units, but received
some kind of radio frequency interference which actually showed up in some of
the photos.  Somebody was transmitting with a radio at the moment that my
flashes went off, probably a high powered shortwave or CB radio nearby.

If you are going to do this, get a 'ferrite core' from the local electronics
store and clamp it around your PC cable right next to the camera.  We use
them even with our flash brackets now.  It's just a one inch long block of
plastic case with ferrite material inside, which clamps right onto the cable.
You find them built into many computer connectors like USB cables.

You can get away with cables but radio transceivers really are nice.  The
fewer cables, the fewer chances for someone to trip over them and knock
everything down and sue you.  Light stand legs are bad enough.  I gaffer tape
them to the floor, but sometimes I'm tempted to wrap them in reflective tape
with blinking LEDs added for good measure.

The other thing is if it's on location for a client, then you really want a
better connector to the flash units.  The PC connectors get flakey at just
the wrong time.  Look for "Paramount" brand connectors which go directly from
your hotshoe over to the connector you need for the flash units ( often a
1/4" or household connector).  No PC connector to mess things up!  The
hotshoe connector slides on like a flash, with the cable going sideways.  You
choose which way you want to slide it on.

Brian

--

Brian Dunn Photographic
http://www.bdphotographic.com