From: "Don Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 5:42 PM
Subject: Re: Adults on bicycles

Hi John,

There must have been something seriously wrong with the bicycle for a
front wheel to collapse. A little maintenance might have helped -- as
well as care and attention when riding? A serious fall would do me no
good whatsoever at 74. I tweak the spokes and check my brakes regularly.
The route I take over the hill to the village is rocky and steep and so
these days I stay away from rough terrain when it gets below zero. Once
my front wheel went sideways on an icy rock and I ended up in a heap.
The damage was not serious and I was riding again in a week. But
bicycles, especially those like mine, a Scott mountain bike, need a lot
of care and attention because they get pretty rough treatment. Ten years
ago I used to change the tyres in the autumn to a pair with spikes; but
as the years went by I began to realise that I was not as young as I
seemed to imagine. If I were to wear a helmet in the autumn (I have one
for summer) my skull would freeze before I got half a kilometre.

I'm just about to set off for the village by the way, there's about 50
cm of snow on the hill. I'll go round and push the 1km to the road.

Don

John Coyle wrote:
> Having once, many years ago, gone over the handlebars when a front wheel
> collapsed, landing on my face and spending three days in hospital as a
> result, I would prefer to wear a helmet when riding, whether or not I was
> required to do so.
> Note that, in my case, I was on a quiet country road, no other vehicle was
> involved, and I was riding at a reasonably sedate pace, correctly
> positioned
> on the road.  No amount of care or caution could have prevented that
> accident, as far as I can see, negating some of the arguments put forward
> in
> this thread.
> It's really like wearing a seat-belt in a car: a helmet won't prevent
> every
> fatality, but it will reduce the severity of injury in a statistically
> significant number of cases.
>
> John Coyle
> Brisbane, Australia

Dr E D F Williams
www.kolumbus.fi/mimosa/
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams/
41660 TOIVAKKA – Finland - +358400706616