mike wilson wrote:

> Short, regularly travelled routes seem to have a disproportionate
> number of accidents.  I don't think anyone has done any work (at
> least, I can't find it online) to work out if that is merely due to
> a statistical function or if there is a human effect at work.

I suspect that it mostly boils down to "familiarity breeds contempt".
Those short, regularly traveled routes are the ones where the driver is
most likely to be running on "autopilot" because they know the route,
and probably also the most likely, therefore, to be where they're doing
everything except paying attention to the traffic ... shaving, putting
on makeup, reading the newspaper, etc.  Those are also the routes I'd
guess people would be most likely to be running late on. :-)

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)