On Nov 25, 2006, at 12:44 AM, David Savage wrote:

> Chrysler are victims of their own marketing then. Jeep has now entered
> the English language, they will forever be defending the trademark.
>
> It's the same problem that Apple is having with it's i-Pod trademark.
> Look at the number of mp3 players that are now i-this or pod that.
>
> I remember reading a British photo magazine years ago (like how I
> steered this back towards photography :-) The author referred to a
> ball point pen as a biro in one of his articles and got a politely
> worded letter from the Biro trademark owners lawyers, telling him to
> stop that. He was simply unaware that it was a brand.
>
> I have no point, other than if an advertising campaign & the product
> are successful, & it enters common language usage, the trademark
> owners are going to be very busy.

Yep.  Lots of letters to send out.

When I was writing for Shutterbug I got quite a nice collection of
the "Velcro letter".  Every time I mentioned Velcro in an article I
got one.  I always capitalized Velcro as a nod to its brand name
status, but they would have had me check each time to see if what I
was describing on a product was really Velcro brand or not.  If not,
they wanted me to call it "generic hook and loop fastener".  Yeah,
that really rolls smoothly off your tongue!

Bob