It's not instant, the meter comes on, grabs the first reading it can and
uses that. This is common to most cameras that do AE.

You don't notice as it does this as soon as the shutter passes the
half-press point as you are depressing the shutter all the way. AE only
takes a fraction of a second.

AF bodies need the half-press to AF anyways, especially if you've got it
in focus priority and AF-S (if that's configurable on the camera,
although focus priority is typically the default for cameras which do
not permit a choice between focus priority and release priority). Any IS
technology needs a couple seconds to initially stabilize.