Lasse:

If that's not sufficient warning, I don't know what would be.  Obvioulsy, nothing
would satisfy you, not even giving the time, date and flight plan of the incoming
plane, so they could shoot it down.  You want to believe the US is evil, and no one
will talk you out of it.  I still invite you to read "Flags of our Fathers" or one of
the other good accounts of the battles at the end of the Pacific war, before you
declare, from a safe distance, that the US should have acted otherwise.

Dan

Lasse Karlsson wrote:

> [This is part 2.]
>
> Did the US issue a fair warning which gave the civilians a chance to escaped from
>injury?
>
> Many posters have claimed that the civilians by distributed leaflets did get a fair
>warning of what they going to be target of.  However there is no proof of any
>leaflets or any other warnings being distributed before the bombing of Hiroshima. The
>some 100 000 civilians had no idea of what suddenly was going to hit them.
>
> A few years ago the Smithsonian arranged an exhibition on the bombings, including
>labels containing "historical facts". In a letter to the organizer a great number of
>historians addressed the question of leaflets:
>
> "In yet another label, the Smithsonian asserts as fact that "Special leaflets were
>then dropped on Japanese cities three days before a bombing raid to warn civilians to
>evacuate." The very next sentence refers to the bombing of Hiroshima on August 6,
>1945, implying that the civilian inhabitants of Hiroshima were given a warning. In
>fact, no evidence has ever been uncovered that leaflets warning of atomic attack were
>dropped on Hiroshima. Indeed, the decision of the Interim Committee was "that we
>could not give the Japanese any warning."[10]"
> [End of quote.]
> http://www.doug-long.com/letter.htm
>
> However, there is evidence of leaflets having been produced and possibly distributed
>(although I haven't come across a single instance proving that any civilian ever
>received or read them.) These leaflets, however, were produced  a f t e r  the
>bombing of Hiroshima, on the 7th or 8th, the latter is only a day before the surprise
>bombing of Nagasaki. (There was an campaign including leaflets, radiotransmissions
>and a newspaper in Japanese, obviously after Nagasaki too, but to what use, I can't
>say.)
>
> When reading the two leaflets, you soon realize, that any claim that they actually
>constitute a fair warning to the Nagasaki civilians can't be taken seriously. The
>leaflets are a general call for surrender and "evacuation of all cities".
> All indications point to the fact that the Nagasaki civilians were completely caught
>by surprise. (Or they would of course not have stayed on as sitting ducks.)
>
> These are the wordings of the two leaflets that I have found:
>
> "TO THE JAPANESE PEOPLE:
> "America asks that you take immediate heed of what we say on this leaflet.
> "We are in possession of the most destructive explosive ever devised by man. A
>single one of our newly developed atomic bombs is actually the equivalent in
>explosive power to what 2000 of our giant B-29's can carry on a single mission. This
>awful fact is one for you to ponder and we solemnly assure you it is grimly accurate.
> "We have just begun to use this weapon against your homeland. If you still have any
>doubt, make inquiry as to what happened to Hiroshima when just one atomic bomb fell
> [...]

Daniel J. Matyola                  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Stanley, Powers & Matyola          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Suite203, 1170 US Highway 22 East  http://danmatyola.com
Bridgewater, NJ 08807              (908)725-3322  fax: (908)707-0399