I share your worries, Tim, but not the reasoning. :-)
Mother earth will do well even with all the crap we can throw at her.
With possible exception of a massive nuclear war, she has taken worse
blows before and just brought new life forms into existence.

We, however, suffer if we kick Mother Earth into shifting her balance.
Whatever we do to the planet to keep her from changing, it's only for
our own (selfish <g>) good.

Jostein