On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 09:06:33PM +0100, Jostein ?ksne wrote:
> I share your worries, Tim, but not the reasoning. :-)
> Mother earth will do well even with all the crap we can throw at her.
> With possible exception of a massive nuclear war, she has taken worse
> blows before and just brought new life forms into existence.

I think you underestimate mother nature.  The entire earth stockpile
of nuclear weapons looks insignificant when compared to the energy
in the storms of a major hurricane season.  And the secondary effects
(dust in the atmosphere, etc.) pale besides the contributions of a
massive volcanic eruption.

Then, of course, there's a massive meteor strike like the one that
is currently believed to have hastened the end of the dinosaurs;
that's thousands of times more devastating than anything we can do.