On Dec 28, 2006, at 11:12 PM, David Savage wrote:

> Touchy, touchy. I wasn't attacking your intelligence. Simply saying
> that an education doesn't make you a smart person.

I never said that it did. Being educated has nothing to do with being
smart. It has everything to do with being trained in how to look for
and find information.

I did insinuate that someone who seems to hold proudly that he does
not have a high school education does not have the credentials to be
believable as an environmental scientist. This is not a comment about
how smart he might be, it's a condemnation of his opinions as being
credible in this field of knowledge.

> I work in a field where I come into contact with a lot of "educated"
> people. While most of them are smart, there a also quite a few who
> aren't, no matter what the piece of paper hanging on the wall
> proclaims.

Never said otherwise. Attacking education by assuming that it is
equivalent to intelligence is a gross error.

> I also have a lot to do with people who'd be considered "uneducated",
> boilermakers, machinists, plant operators  etc.  they are some of the
> smartest, most practical people I know. Of course some are as thick as
> 2 bricks.

I was taught many things by these same people. Mechanics,
photography, woodworking, shooting, etc. In fact, I visited three of
these old mentors on my trip around the country recently, as we have
remained fast friends through the past 35 years of my life and I
value their thoughts very highly, wanted to see them as they are no
longer in the best of health (they're in their 80s-90s now).

> You sir seem to have no problem lording his education over others.
>
> By saying what you've said below, you've confirmed my point about
> intellectual superiority. To this thick headed half wit, that makes
> you a snob.
>
> David (I don't have a university education, I must be stupid) Savage

I don't "lord" anything. I will, however, point out that opinion is
not information whenever I see nonsense being paraded as such. Any
person, no matter how well read, "smart", self-educated or whatever,
or what a delightful person they might be, is not credible to speak
of their opinion as factually based when they can't even take the 20
seconds necessary to confirm a basic fact of geography, to point out
just one example of why I felt it necessary to make the comment.

I didn't know for sure how thick the ice on Antarctica was or assume
that my dim recollection was correct, so I looked it up. It doesn't
require an education to do that, but it's what someone who is
educated ... that is, trained in and used to researching/verifying
facts (note that this says nothing about university or degrees) ...
does as a matter of course before spouting off and assuming that what
they think they know is fact.

And yes, I am "touchy" about listening to stupid comments and stupid
opinions which are misinformation. Touchy isn't the correct word,
however: exasperated and frustrated are closer to the mark. Irritated
and impatient when people accept this kind of bumpkin logic as truth.

Godfrey