On Dec 29, 2006, at 7:04 PM, Adam Maas wrote:
> Only problem is the L1 locks up when flushing the buffer, unless
> they've
> fixed that in a firmware update.

Not sure what you mean there. The one I snapped with at the store
seems to do buffered writes, and be fairly quick about it too. Didn't
have enough time to explore it very far, though.

If you're referring to the DPReview preview of the L1, that was a pre-
production camera and likely had some bugs still.

> And no normal or wide primes. The shortest prime currently
> available is
> the 50mm f2 Macro, which is a 100 equivalent. Leica has announced a
> 25mm
> f1.4 for it, but that's it. Between that and the poor high-ISO
> performance, the L1 isn't the camera it could be.

This was ultimately the reason I went with Pentax over the Olympus
E1 .. I prefer fast primes and the Oly 4/3 system is heavily weighted
to zoom lenses at present. However, as I mentioned, I would see this
as a relatively limited system ... just the camera and the two zoom
lenses to cover my focal length desires ... and it would not replace
the Pentax K10D at all. I generally don't work with much over ISO 400
most of the time, if it does a *decent* job at ISO 800 it would be
fine for a limited use system. The review of the Leica model in
Amateur Photographer was quite enthusiastic, and I understand them to
be a reasonably conservative lot.

BTW: it's a thought experiment mostly anyway. The Pentax K10D is a
superb camera, I have most everything I need for my kit already. I'm
right on the cusp of selling off my other two Pentax DSLR bodies, the
Sony R1 and KM A2 to buy a second K10D body and one more lens.
They're the basis of my work. I just like some of the ergonomics and
detail design that went into the PanaLeica SLR, that's all. :-)

Godfrey