Rob,

It is an international forum, but our international subscribers
overreach if they presume to tell us how to treat our national symbol.
 If they don't like our national policies and actions, so be it.  They
have a right to their opinions and hostility.

Our non-US subscribers should know some things about the US flag.
First, as our service men die and come home for burial, their parents
and families see the flag covering their coffin as part of the final
ceremony at grave side.  It is a symbol of our country's gratitude for
their sacrifice.

Second, the US veterans of World War II are a band of brothers.  The
war experience molded their thinking and their attitudes as very young
men.  They are the oldest generation here in the US.

These men lost their friends and brothers in North Africa, Europe, and
the Pacific Theaters of the war.  The flag draped coffin was a symbol
to them and still is.  As these men die now in their old age, and
their brothers come with a flag to cover their coffin at the grave
side and honor their service and willingness to risk their lives and
youths to serve the national interests.

My sister has the flag that covered my father's coffin.  I have the
flag that covered my uncle's coffin, my father's brother.  My cousins
have the flag that covered my other uncle's coffin, my mother's
brother.  Other cousins have the flag that covered their father's
coffin, my aunt's husband.  The men all served in WWII and lived to
died of old age (70+).  The familes agreed to honor their service by
inviting their 'brothers' with the flags.

Like Paul says, it is what it is.

Regards,  Bob S.