Tim wrote:

Another reason for preferring FA* was that he found the Ltd more a piece of
jewellery. He expected he would feel a bit uncomfortable with using it
outdoor under rough conditions. I can sympathise with this. The built of the
FA* begs for real life use.

He asked me if I felt the FA* to be a close range lens. Any comments on
this?

REPLY:

I've owned both the FA* 85/1.4 and the 77 Limited. The FA* is the only FA*
lens that didn't meet my standards optically. I found it to be poor
performer at infinity distance (but great at close distances) to such an
extent that I sended it to Pål at Pentax Norway. He said it was identical to
his sample...I sold it cheaply to a PDML member who was very happy with it
so there you go...
In addition, the Limited is far more durable finish wise; at least the
silver one is anodized on metal whereas the FA* is just soft paint on soft
plastic. The FA* scratches incredibly easily and all my FA* lenses looks
like shit from heavy outdoor use. All my Limited lenses look like new with
the same usage.
I feel that the FA* is primarily a portrait lens whereas the Limited is an
all rounder with state of the art optical performance in all respects.

Pål