> I think you are wrong. Of course there are way

        Why am I not surprised?

> more than 10 potential buyers. There are MILLIONS
> of good and great M42 lenses actually owned by
> people. Not a few dozen. There are probably more
> m42 lenses in existance than ALL K mount lenses
> ever made and they have produced K mount DSLRS
> havent they?

        ... but are there more than a few dozen who would be willing to
pay significantly MORE (R&D costs) for a camera that can ONLY use 30+ year
old MF lenses as compared to a modern camera that can use the same lenses
with minor inconveniences?  This is not the same argument as the aperture
coupler.  That's a minor cost savings on a mount that could easily
facilitate it without removing modern features.  A true M42 DSLR could NOT
use anything more modern than auto-aperture MF M42 lenses.

> Secondly, my comments in that post were made
> on relative cost to develop a M42 DSLR from an existing design,
> vs developing one from scratch. It would not
> be very complex. Its not like this M42 pin actuator mechanism
> change is a swiss watch or something, its fairly basic.
>
> jco

        You confuse prototype costs with production costs.  One could
certainly hack their K-mount DSLR to mount M42 lenses directly, operate
the aperture pin, and maybe even reverse engineer the software to have the
camera use it.  In reality, you'd need to license the design for
modifying (hardware and software...costing big bucks), or build one from
the ground up (even bigger bucks).  Both of which would require physical
production unless you're going to build them one-off in your basement.

        Just hacking up a working prototype is a far cry from a marketable
product.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *