Brian,

If I were you, I'd download and go with the Lightroom 1.0 30 Day Free
Trial. The 1.0 release has so much more functionality than the beta
and runs faster, also many features have been enhanced or changed
into better ways of doing things.

The tutorial videos I mentioned are also very very useful to get up
to speed fast. They're worth the time to go through, at least the
first six or seven from Michael Tapes.