I use a non-dedicated auto flash and/or manual multi-flash setup with
a flash meter, or just look at a preview exposure with histogram.  I
have not seen much benefit in using a TTL or even P-TTL flash at all.
Where having a P-TTL compatible flash is of some interest to me is
that they support high speed sync for daylight fill.

I've seen both Nikon, Canon and other manufacturers go through
successive incompatible generations of auto-TTL flash metering
systems. Don't see why Pentax would be any exception. It's an area
where a lot of development is ongoing.