With regard to how the bag feels and is comfortable in use, I prefer
the canvas.

The differences between the two bags are the size of the main
compartment (13x4x9 inch for the F-803 vs 13.5x4.5x10 inch for the
J-803), a separate laptop pocket, and the fact that the J-803 has a
detachable shoulder strap where the F-803 strap is sewn in.

<http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?
tablename=domke&itemnum=701-J83>
<http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?
tablename=domke&itemnum=701-83B>

That extra size (particularly the 4.5" depth) would be welcome to me
for ease of getting camera in and out... the K10D with the Hakuba
hand strap fitted is a bit of a squeeze in the F803. I don't know
whether the laptop pocket will fit a PowerBook G4 or MacBook Pro 15"
so I don't know how useful that is.