from my experience, I would  say to not worry about your HD.  I was
carrying the wife's iBook up stairs when I fell and used the iBook to
break my fall :(.  I  hit so hard that the whole thing bent, the HD
bent as well (shattering the insides) and I even had one IC that
popped apart.  All that to say... laptop HD's are pretty tough...

oh yeah, and good luck, if you alread haven't checked eekbay, you
might, there are lots of people like me that trash a laptop then sell
the parts

Russ

On 3/27/07, Mike Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Late last week I was doing *something* with my 50mm Takumar macro
> lens, and it fell out of my hands.  Unfortunately, the soft landing
> pad was made of aluminum.  Steel vs. Aluminum, hands down winner was
> the Takumar.  At first I had no problems.  There is a dent in the
> upper case of the Powerbook, between the space bar and the trackpad.
> However, as time has progressed, I have noticed the dreaded spinning
> beachball popping up more and more, and there's a steady, droning
> whine that comes from just to the left of the trackpad.  Sounds like a
> fan, and I think the hard drive is located there.  Not good.
>
> Anyway, I can't deal with these any longer so I will be taking the
> computer in for a servicing.  It's 2.5 years old.  I hope that it's a
> reasonable cost... I saw the price of a new upper case for the
> Powerbook ($149) and i don't like it.  I can't live with this the way
> it is, though. :(
>
> I tried to inspect it myself, but only made matters worse by stripping
> a screw.
>
> --
>
> Cheers,
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]