Bill -

That's where we diverge in our methodology.  The unfortunate truth is
that if you don't have a chain of command, you really don't have an
effective military.  So, yes, we do have heroes - everyone who puts
their all on the line at the will of their commander is a hero in my
book.  No more so nor less now than when your father fought.

The problem lies with the politicians (and the "commander-in-chief", no
matter what name you give him/her is *still* a politician) that make the
policy to put the military into action.  And with the populace who let
themselves be led down the primrose path to where we are now under the
guise of protecting us from something (which in reality didn't exist).

We're not a fascist state yet, but if we become one it won't be because
of military initiative, it will be from politicians ignoring the
constitution and the people being apathetic enough to let them do it.

-p