John -

Unless you are *very* sure that the film has run all the way to the end,
don't open the camera except in a darkroom or changing bag.  Super 8
will be in a cartridge - standard 8mm is really "double 8" - 16mm film
w/8mm sprocket holes on a 25 ft reel.  You exposed one side of it, then
flipped it over to expose the other side.  When processed, the lab slit
it down the middle and spliced it to make one 8mm x 50 ft roll.  If it's
double 8, unless it's completely on one of the in-camera reels, you run
the risk of losing several feet if you open it in the light.  Once it's
completely on one reel it's OK to remove in subdued light.

-p