Hi all,

Since I have a new, more "advanced" body, the N80, I tried taking
some shots I would have avoided in the past.  The results were awful--
not one good shot on the entire role, a miserable 0-for-24 (Kodak
Gold 200).

In the past, I would avoid two types of shots: 1) indoor shots and 2)
outdoor "high sun" shots in the fair weather months (i.e. during the
hours of about 10:00-4:00).  In doing so, I have assured myself
decent, but not necessarily perfect, results.  Since the N80 has a
better metering system (10-segment) and a pop-up flash that is
supposed to be pretty good, I figured: "let me see what it can do."
As I have said, the results were dreadful.  Here are the main issues.

1) Every indoor flash shot showed at least moderate spotlight/wash-
out effect of the subject (people).
2) On the outdoor "high sun" shots, the camera turned a seemingly
minor shadows (through the viewfinder) on the subject's face into a
black blobs that covered almost all of the subject's face.
3) When taking indoor shots with the flash, I would meter (10-
segment) something like 1/30 or 1/45 or perhaps 1/60 at, say, f2.
With the flash powered up, I do not think it ever metered
differently.  For example, 1/30 at f/2 was still 1/30 at f/2 with the
flash enabled.  Is this correct, or is there something wrong with my
camera?
4) The one decent shot in the whole role--an indoor shot using only
available light...go figure?--was spoiled by some sort of small speck
on the subject's face.  I usually keep my filter free of dust, etc.
Could this speck have appeared as a result of the cheap processing I
used (Wal-Mart C-41)?

I know that using a fill flash may have alleviated the problem
expressed in issue number 2, but, since I have had my subjects turn a
bit ghastly by using the flash, I am hesitant to use it indoors or
outdoors.  I would appreciate any advice or commentary (or even pep
talk), as I am pretty down about this.  What good is a more
"advanced" camera if I cannot even come remotely close to
satisfactory results on the more difficult shots (i.e. indoor, "high
sun," etc.)?

Thanks,
Glen