One can work with an SLR that way, as I have demoed a few
times, but most folks figure that when the are looking
through the lens they have to fiddle focus.

I will forever remember flabbergasting Mister Bunnyears at
GFM. He was going on about how you could not do unobtrusive
street photography with a winder equipped camera when I
lifted my MX to my eye shot a photo of him and dropped the
camera down before letting it wind on. He stammered an
incredulous, "What did you just do?"

It is definitely not what camera you have, but how you use it.

But even after saying that, I still love rangefinder cameras.

Graywolf (Tom Rittenhouse)
Website: http://www.graywolfphoto.com
Blog:    http://www.graywolfphoto.com/journal/