I wouldn't bother with anything in a printer that doesn't use the
Epson K3 inkset for B&W printing, if you're using a standard driver.
Nothing else I've tried is as consistent and useful. That limits you
to the Epson R2400 or above, but it's well worth that limitation.

That said, you can get very good results with several other printers
if you use the QuadTone RIP software ($50 from Roy Harrington, see
http://www.quadtonerip.com/ for details). Best thing to do, if you
don't want to spend for an R2400: pick a printer from his
requirements page and buy QTR.

Regards scanners, the V700 cannot be beat for its price. I've
measured with it carefully and find it returns about 2600-2800 ppi
actual resolution, on par with my Minolta Scan Dual II and Nikon
Coolscan IV dedicated film scanners. The only way to get significant
improvement on that for medium format scans is a Nikon Coolscan 9000
or Imacon Flextight...

Godfrey