Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
> I wouldn't bother with anything in a printer that doesn't use the
> Epson K3 inkset for B&W printing, if you're using a standard driver.
> Nothing else I've tried is as consistent and useful. That limits you
> to the Epson R2400 or above, but it's well worth that limitation.
>
> That said, you can get very good results with several other printers
> if you use the QuadTone RIP software ($50 from Roy Harrington, see
> http://www.quadtonerip.com/ for details). Best thing to do, if you
> don't want to spend for an R2400: pick a printer from his
> requirements page and buy QTR.

One of my goals here is to keep the digital end of things as stupidly
simple as possible.  The Ultratone inks, in addition to being relatively
affordable, don't require any profiles or extra software, etc.  I'm
definitely going to give it a try before considering something like
quadtone.  I will take a look at his printer list.

> Regards scanners, the V700 cannot be beat for its price. I've
> measured with it carefully and find it returns about 2600-2800 ppi
> actual resolution, on par with my Minolta Scan Dual II and Nikon
> Coolscan IV dedicated film scanners. The only way to get significant
> improvement on that for medium format scans is a Nikon Coolscan 9000
> or Imacon Flextight...

I missed some significant differences between the V500 and V700, other
than film format.  It does seem to be the better option for a variety of
reasons.

Thanks, Godfrey.  Much appreciated.

--
Scott Loveless